Monday, March 29, 2004

Ok, so my weekend wasn't that great.

My father's oldest sister passed away. The cremation was on Friday. Gu Ma, rest in peace.

Watched The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) by the Australian cast. Thoroughly entertaining.

Instead of going to Elevation and catching Jazzanova and The Funky Lowlives, I went to watch screenings of Eric Khoo's early short films -- Pain and Symphony 92.4 FM -- and his Mee Pok Man. The discussion in between was cancelled at the last minute -- apparently his birthday was on Saturday so he probably had some family dinner to attend. This was probably lucky for him because I think the audience (especially Amanda, Justin and Weimei) was ready to rip his work to shreds. Pain wasn't bad, but Symphony was atrocious. In all fairness, those films were Khoo's early works so you can't expect greatness right off the bat. As a pioneer he deserves recognition, but he is certainly overrated in other aspects.

btw, Mee Pok Man is watchable up to the point when the woman dies. After that it all goes downhill......

We went for midnight curry rice in Hougang. It was great comfort food, but I'm not willing to shell out $20+ for a cab ride home in the near future...

Sunday was spent in a funk. I woke up feeling crappy for no reason whatsoever, and promptly forgot the rest of my schedule for the day. Forgot about helping my SVDP group in the afternoon. Forgot about Twilight Samurai. >_< At least I got a decent haircut for a change.

Went to the Arts House in the evening to meet Amanda and watch the slam poetry competition. Got roped in to be a judge, which turned out to be rather fun. Each participating team comprised tertiary level students and a (relatively) well-known literary figure here. Was amused to see Stella Kon and Richard Yeo on stage. Amanda hates Richard Lord and I can't say I liked his performance very much either.

I still don't like slam poetry very much.

I still feel like crap this morning btw. But I haven't had my coffee yet either.

No comments: