Thursday, March 13, 2003

Senior Night at the Pub a couple of hours ago. Free glass mug ("We can afford to lose a few brain cells" printed on it), and karaoke. Suddenly, I realised that Smash Mouth's All Star has particular significance for us UofC sufferers, with lines like:

Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb


and:

It's a cool place and they say it gets colder
You're bundled up now but wait 'til you get older


Also for all of us graduating this spring:

Somebody once asked could you spare some change for gas
I need to get myself away from this place
I said yep what a concept
I could use a little fuel myself
And we could all use a little change


What a wonderful piece of advice for jaded fourth-years! On a side note, some people of my generation like to claim we grew up in the 80s but really, they were over by the time we even realised they were there. Still, for some reason we think it's cool to think we grew up with Alphaville and Bananarama. I guess it's kind of true -- if you count listening to your car stereo while you were in diapers as growing up.

And now for some uplifting philosophy --

Hey now you're an All Star get your game on, go play
Hey now you're a Rock Star get the show on get paid
And all that glitters is gold
Only shooting stars break the mold....



No comments: