Monday, April 21, 2003

I love SoulCalibur II. This could be turning into a very unhealthy addiction... I don't play it everyday. Say, twice a week? But when I do pick up the controller, there goes 3+ hours...

Raphael has become a new favorite of mine. I used to play Mitsurugi and Taki in the first SoulCalibur. But I never could get very good at using Taki. Mitsurugi I had a better time playing.

With that in mind I played Mitsurugi again for a bit, and am impressed at the new moves he has. He's slower now, and lost his very useful double slashing uppercut move. Now pressing 6,6,B will make him advance while cutting down, up and down again. A little less useful, but still effective. Fast and even tracks a little too.

I was also delighted to find that he now has good slashing moves out of his Relic stance. All the better to psyche out opponents who expect you to pull an Unblockable. I also discovered that he has four different ways to throw. The standard A+G, B+G and now A+K and B+K too. The last two can be blocked, but a throw is always kinda demoralising. Also he can pull Unblockables really easily now. 4,B+G and then A or B. As if the rapid 4[A], A+B wasn't good enough. Mitsurugi also has several moves that automatically sidestep in the process. Tricky.

Up close, he's a little weaker. I suppose the best way to play him is to keep both lateral and side distance and use the stances and his other moves to psyche out opponents. Easier said than done.

I think I will use Mitsurugi as my secondary character... Still no luck with cool ninja girl a.k.a. Taki...

Wrist hurts. Time for work.

No comments: