Wednesday, April 02, 2003

I think I've fixed my course schedule for this quarter. Japanese, Korean Civ and Modern Japanese Lit: Subject to Capital. Military Theory and Practice sounded really fascinating, but the reading required was too brutal for me (mostly 300+ pgs every class). So it's 3 again this quarter, although I originally wanted 4 since this my last quarter as a college student after all.

Damn Public Policy BA paper! This damned thing haunts my every waking moment. Poor time management on my part? Probably, but I also have to complete the requirements for three other classes. And there are my duties as Japanese Animation Society president (Don't laugh - it's a lot harder than you think) to fulfill.

And also maybe, just maybe something called a life.
----------------

Attended the inaugural Coase Lecture late Monday afternoon, given by non-other than Ronald H. Coase himself. His lecture had little to do with the topic, but was filled with light-hearted, unabashed reminescing about the academic paths he's taken to where he is today.

Coase was unassuming, sparingly witty and direct with his English-accented words. He reminded everyone that George Stigler was responsible for elucidating the oft-(mis)quoted "Coase Theorem". Notably, Coase also asserted a disdain for the oversimplification of economic models. Making assumptions is useful, but when you say that X is true when Y holds, but Y rarely happens in the real world, then the theory simply isn't useful at all in that particular realisation. This of course sounds commonsensical -- until you consider the gulf between economic theory and its practice.

The Q&A was shamefully cut short after a paltry three queries.

For more on Coase and his groundbreaking work (not just that darn theorem!) look here.

No comments: