Saturday, June 05, 2004

To watch this week: Aguirre, The Wrath of God and Battleship Potemkin.

I always stop by HMV whenever I'm in Citylink and have time to kill. This is for three reasons:

1) To sample music

2) To peek at their unofficial bargains table. Wandered in there last night with Amanda and picked up a 1999 Wu Bai and China Blue album -- Bai Ge (Dove) -- and the OST for Zhang Yimou's The Story of Qiu Ju (Qiu Ju Da Guan Si). The former to satisfy my curiosity, the latter purely because of the cool packaging.

3) To gaze lovingly at the Akira Kurosawa: Four Samurai Classics DVD box set. The massive irony that I could have bought that box set instead of blowing my money on L5R cards, is hardly lost on me. In fact it comes to mind every time I heft the package off its place on the shelf. I want to draw comfort from its weight -- The Seven Samurai, The Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, Sanjuro . Instead, the burden in my trembling hands reprimands and shames.

btw, Thai Express is a very good place to eat at. Contrary to the smarmy-Chinese-takeaway connotations of the word "Express" in a restaurant name, the food's fine value for money and the decor chic and bright. Am definitely going back.

No comments: